2023 CITATION OF EXCELLENCE ENTRY INFORMATION & GUIDELINES FOR ORCHESTRA
The Foundation for Music Education is a not-for-profit organization committed to the support and advancement of music education.
CITATION OF EXCELLENCE
The Citation of Excellence project seeks to recognize and award outstanding achievement in performance by non – varsity high school and middle school orchestras. A unique competitive environment is created which allows ensembles to compare their performance quality to other outstanding non-varsity ensembles.
HOW IT WORKS
Directors upload a WAV file recording of their ensemble from the current 2022-23 school year. The adjudicator will listen to the entries and provide detailed recorded comments and brief written comments. All entrants will receive a compilation recording of the winning orchestra performances. Citation winners and Commended winners receive a trophy. It is hoped the critiques and the compilation recordings will prove helpful in improving performances and will spread knowledge of quality literature.
June 5, 2023 (Results announced September 15, 2023)
CLASSIFICATION OF PERFORMING GROUPS
• High School Full Orchestra
• High School String Orchestra
• Middle School Full Orchestra
• Middle School String Orchestra
An audio track may be extracted from a video recording of the orchestra.
The audio submission should be in compliance with the Citation of Excellence guidelines and not engineered, edited, or tampered with in any way except:
• Editing to eliminate excess time between movements of a multi-movement work.
• Editing to eliminate audience applause or announcements
• Combining multiple tracks of a multi-movement work into a single audio file for submission.
• Matching of volume from track to track. Recorded selections must have been recorded at a live concert during the current school year
There should be no announcements or any verbal identification on the recordings submitted.
Verification of unethical recording practices is grounds for disqualification. Examples of unethical practices are:
• Private recording sessions
• Recording in a recording studio or under studio conditions (i.e. use of microphones for individuals or small groups, or multiple microphones placed within the ensemble. – an exception is made for jazz entries.
• Multiple recordings of the same selection during a concert
• Any engineering, editing, or tampering with the recording after the performance in any way.
• Splicing within a single composition
• Any other practice which could be construed as being unprofessional, unethical, or in violation of the spirit of the competition.
After submitting the form online application, print a copy and include with the entry materials.
• Copy of the online application
• One set of scores with the school name deleted
• $300.00 application fee (Check payable to The Foundation for Music Education/Citation Of Excellence)
• Postmark Deadline is June 5, 2023
Citation of Excellence Registrations
39 Travis Park Dr.
Sugar Land, TX 77479
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who can enter?
Non-varsity or sub non-varsity orchestras. Sub non-varsity orchestras may be entered in the same size classification or in one lower.
Will scores be returned?
How will I receive my compilation recording?
You will receive a download code to download the recording from Mark Custom Recording.
What if I only have a video recording of my ensemble?
Please contact your local recording professional to extract a WAV audio file. If that is a problem or too expensive, please contact us for assistance.