2022 NATIONAL MARIACHI HONORS ENTRY INFORMATION & GUIDELINES
The Foundation for Music Education is a not-for-profit organization committed to the support and advancement of music education.
MARK OF EXCELLENCE
The Mark of Excellence project seeks to recognize and award outstanding achievement in performance by high school and middle school mariachi ensembles. The project will gather entries from throughout the United States and provide valuable feedback for all entrants. A unique competitive environment is created which allows ensembles to compare their performance quality to other outstanding ensembles from across the country.
HOW IT WORKS
Directors upload a vidio file recording of their ensemble from the current 2021-22 school year. The video may be a portion of a live concert, or a recording session. The entire ensemble should be shown, but it is fine to zoom in on soloists. The video should be a maximum of 12 minutes. The performance should include a Son Jalisciense. Fill out the online forms and then mail a copy of the entry form and your scores if scores are available. The adjudicator will listen to and view the entries and provide a real time audio commentary and brief written comments. All entrants will receive a compilation audio recording of the National Winners that is produced by Mark Custom Recording. Winners will be recognized in regional and/or national publications and at national and regional conventions, and will be awarded beautiful trophies. It is hoped that the critiques and compilation recordings will prove helpful in improving performances, and will spread knowledge of quality literature.
•Upload a video recording (MP4, MOV, WMV or AVI) to the online portal and mail one set of scores, if available, and a copy of the online entry form. On the online entry, please list the selections that you perform. Any number is fine, but you must stay under the 12 minute time limit.
•The adjudicator will listen to the recording and record comments as he listens. The top 25% will be selected as National Winners, and the second 25% as Commended Winners.
•Results will be mailed to you and posted on our website by September 15, 2022.
•5A and 6A High School Mariachi school enrollment of 1150 and above in grades 9 – 12
•4A and smaller High School Mariachi school enrollment of 1149 and below in grades 9 – 12
•Middle School Mariachi middle schools of any enrollment
The adjudicator will select outstanding soloists at his discretion.Since there are many solos in the performances, he will use the duration time of the start of the solo. If you have soloists selected, you will be given this information and be asked to provide student names. Certificates for these students will be mailed to you.
The submission should be in compliance with the Mark of Excellence guidelines and not engineered, edited, or tampered with in any way except:
• Editing to eliminate excess time between movements of a multi-movement work.
• Editing to eliminate audience applause or announcements
• Combining multiple tracks of a multi-movement work into a single file for submission.
• Matching of volume from track to track. Recorded selections must have been recorded at a live concert during the current school year
There should be no announcements or any verbal identification on the recordings submitted.
Verification of unethical recording practices is grounds for disqualification. Examples of unethical practices are:
• Private recording sessions
• Recording in a recording studio or under studio conditions (i.e. use of microphones for individuals or small groups, or multiple microphones placed within the ensemble. – an exception is made for jazz and mariachi entries.
• Multiple recordings of the same selection during a concert
• Any engineering, editing, or tampering with the recording after the performance in any way.
• Splicing within a single composition
• Any other practice which could be construed as being unprofessional, unethical, or in violation of the spirit of the competition.
June 5, 2022 (Results announced September 15, 2022)
After submitting the form online application, print a copy and include with the entry materials.
• Copy of the online application
• One set of scores with the school name deleted
• $375.00 application fee (Check payable to The Foundation for Music Education/Mark Of Excellence)
• Postmark Deadline is June 5, 2022
Mark of Excellence Registrations
39 Travis Park Dr.
Sugar Land, TX 77479
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will my scores and materials be returned?
Can I enter a higher classification?
Can I enter a non varsity group?
Yes, but they must enter in the same classification.
What if I enter a performance that is too long?
The adjudicator will stop recording comments at the 12 minute mark.