2018 National Wind Band Honors Entry & Guidelines
The Foundation for Music Education is a not-for-profit organization committed to raising funds for the support of musiceducation and the proliferation of music educators in our schools.
MARK OF EXCELLENCE
The Mark of Excellence project seeks to recognize and award outstanding achievement in performance by high school and middle school choirs. The project will gather entries from throughout the United States and provide valuable feedback for all entrants. A unique competitive environment is created which allows choirs to compare their performance quality to other outstanding ensembles from across the country.
HOW IT WORKS
Directors submit a CD recording of their ensemble from the current 2017-18 school year. The adjudicator will listen to entries and provide detailed recorded comments and brief written comments. All entrants will receive a compilation recording of the winning choral performances. Winners will also be recognized in regional and/or national publications and at national and regional conventions. National winners will receive a trophy and commended winners will receive a plaque. It is hoped the critiques and the compilation recordings will prove helpful in improving performances in high school and middle school choral music.
1. Submit two (2) identical CD recordings and one set of scores of the three (3) selections. These selections may be of any level or source, but higher consideration will be given to serious works of appropriate difficulty for the school classification.
2. The adjudicator will listen to recordings and record a live critique commentary, as well as brief written comments.
3. The level one adjudicator will select the top 25% as the National winners. The National winners will be recognized in regional and/or national publications and at national and regional conferences. Winners will receive a trophy.
4. The second 25% will receive Commended status, will be recognized in national and/or regional publications, and receive a plaque.
5. The adjudicator will pick selections for inclusion in the compilation recording of the winners which is provided to all entrants.
June 5, 2017 (Results announced September 15, 2017)
• High School Mixed Choir
• Middle School Treble Choir
• Boys Choir – unchanged voices
• High School Open Class – any additional high school choral ensembles of any type
• Middle School Open Class – any additional middle school choral ensembles of any type
A completed application should include the following:
• Completed online Mark of Excellence Registration Form
• Two identical CD recordings from the current 2017-18 academic year with the school name clearly marked
• One set of scores with the school name deleted
• $350.00 application fee (Check payable to The Foundation for Music Education/Mark Of Excellence)
Mark of Excellence Registrations
39 Travis Park Dr.
Sugar Land, TX 77479
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Will my scores and materials be returned?
Can I enter my high school 2nd mixed choir in the open class?
Can any type of choral ensemble enter, even a jazz choir?
Yes, in the open class.
How will I receive my compilation recording?
You will be sent a code and instructions on how to retrieve the recording from Mark Custom Recording.