MERN (Texas Music Education Mentoring Network) Enters 2nd Year
The Foundation for Music Education enters the second year of powering MERN. MERN is the Music Education Resource Network which is a pro-bono mentoring network of TMEA members (advisors) helping new music teachers (proteges).
Mike Ware is the Managing Director of MERN. A small committee is compiling a list of specific items and tasks for our MERN advisors to supply proteges. To become an advisor and/or to apply to be a protege simply become a TMEA member and enroll via the TMEA or TFME website.
If you have subject matter that should be on the list please contact myself or Mike Ware.
Mike Ware – firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial Advisor “to-do” List
Here is our initial advisor to-do list of items and tasks that pertain to band, orchestra, choir or elementary teachers and what we believe should be addressed by advisors and proteges.
- set calendar
- fees, auditions, trip information
- booster club relations
- professional organizations toda tba tcda tmea
- liability insurance
- attend region meeting
- convention dates
- tmea audition dates and deadlines
- UIL dates, deadlines PML online
- discipline management
- repertoire help for fall and spring
- sight reading materials
- instrument repair, rental, purchase
- quality of instruments
- assessment tools
- charms benefit
- solo and ensemble/ concert and sight reading prep
- performance concerns of protege
- eligibility issues
- fundraising do”s and don’ts
- transportation policies and requests
- class schedules, counselor help
- parent meetings/ communication
- make friends with administrators and counselors
- class schedules
- TMEA/UIL policies
- concert etiquette
- keep a professional distance with students
- activity accounts/financial policies
If you have any questions or would like additional information please don’t hesitate to contact via e-mail or by leaving a comment in the “leave a comment section.” Thanks!